History Is Fun! (And Also Why I Can Never Go Back To Starbucks)

Not too long ago, I was at a Starbucks on a coffee run. Then this happened.

Cashier: Your total is $10.66

Me: 1066! The Norman invasion! Battle of Hastings!

Cashier: No.

Me: Actually, yes.

Cashier: Sorry, I meant I don’t care.

Me: Ok then.

So, I can’t ever go back to that Starbucks again. Not because I am ashamed, but because I can’t stand to be served coffee by someone who wasn’t remotely interested in my random and all too enthusiastic historical outbursts. There are just too many random dates/names/places/people floating around in my head for me not to occasionally (aka all the time) drop some history on unsuspecting persons. Also, don’t mention my name at the Quiznos by Lake Travis, I once got into a pretty heated argument about Anne Boleyn there.

66 thoughts on “History Is Fun! (And Also Why I Can Never Go Back To Starbucks)

1. mcleanmorgana says:

History is the best thing to just drop in the middle of an irrelevant conversation! It’s the cashier’s fault for not having a sense of humor even if she doesn’t know what you were talking about. Cheers to you, though!

2. I would probably have difficulties with the fact that somebody isn’t even remotely interested in a little bit of British culture and history. Luckily for you there are better and cheaper places than Starbucks. I am going to say something that many people will propbaly hate me for… Starbuck is overrated. Any self-respecting coffee-loving human being should avoid going to a place like that. Have a prophet- able day – The False Prophet

3. Jason says:

In defense of the barista: maybe he was really thrown off by what you said? If I had to do that job all day and someone as enthusiastic about history as you are came along I would be thrown off too. On the other hand, I’d also be the one keeping myself entertained by coming up with “meanings” for the different prices too. Because that job is BORING. 😊 in conclusion…go you for educating someone about history, even though he didn’t seem to appreciate it as much as you or I would.

4. Dagny says:

I’m glad you warned me. I shan’t mention you name there… what was it, Quiznos by Lake Travis? No, I shall not.

Kind of you really.

Sent from My Blackberry® @ Tata Docomo

1. Something like that. It’s one thing Japan has mastered, the art of customer service. I’ll forever respect the Japanese culture for that alone if nothing else. They take immense pride in their work.

5. Linda Tharp says:

Some people just don’t get it! I still remember my girls’ French class room number from when they were in high school (youngest is now 26): 214. Who wouldn’t think of Valentine’s Day?!

1. I’m a Donna fan myself, unless you count the Companion that was in the Comic Relief special where Mr. Bean played the Doctor. But Rose is classic. I just finished with the Tenth Doctor; I haven’t started Eleven yet. I’m sure Matt Smith will be good, but David Tennant was brilliant.

6. ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʏᴏʀᴋ ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇ says:

1066 Daily ChainMail Headline:
    “King Harold blames eye infection on illegal immigrants.”

1. ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʏᴏʀᴋ ᴍɪɴᴜᴛᴇ says:

Make someone laugh. Check.
        Make someone choke. Check.

My day’s work is done.

7. Mike Kuplevatsky says:

Lol. I would have laughed. Some people aren’t all enthusiastic, I hate that. It just kills the vibe. Sure, not everyone will be interested in history, I’m not — but I like dorky things like that and would have laughed. Sorry Starbucks, you just lost a cool customer.

1. Nice! Oh, and I forgot to say that the Battle of Hastings reference was a great one except, presumably, if you were King Harold. I am a descendant of Harold’s father, King Edward the Confessor.

2. I think it’s amazing that you know you’re descended from King Edward the Confessor! I have a funny feeling if I dug into my ancestry I might find a court jester….

8. girlmeetsherself says:

I also cannot help but think of the battle of hastings when 1066 is mentioned! I thought I was the only one haha