The Great Chili Cheese Burrito Quest

Lincoln, Nebraska
Lincoln has an awesome state capital building but no CCB.

My quest has officially begun. No Taco Bell will go….unturned?….uncovered?…..un….I’m not really sure what word applies here, but suffice it to say I’ll be visting a lot of Taco Bells in the next year, and so will Captain Thoughtful because he is very supportive of this quest and also has a giant appetite.

Last weekend I visited the Taco Bell in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Airport. No luck. They didn’t even have the full menu, much less the fabled and elusive Chili Cheese Burrito (or CCB as I will call if from now on due to my typing laziness.) So, that was disappointing. However, quests aren’t mean to be easy so I continued on with high hopes and a growling tummy.

My next stop in the quest was Nebraska. Specifically, Lincoln. There was a Taco Bell less than a mile from our hotel and I immediately had a very good feeling about it. We stopped by after a late night and pulled up to the drive-thru, my heart was pounding as I perused the burrito menu….and……nothing. I mean, they had burritos, but they didn’t have THE burrito, the one burrito to rule them all. You let me down Lincoln, Nebraska Taco Bell.

Later, upon further introspection I realized the “good feeling” I had about the Lincoln Taco Bell could probably have been better classified as “hunger”. I’m going to have to watch out for that in the future.

The quest continues.

Also, it has been suggested that I could just find the recipe and make the CCB for myself but that is obviously the cowards way out of a quest and I’m no coward. Stop making logical suggestions like this to me immediately. They offend my sensibility.

54 thoughts on “The Great Chili Cheese Burrito Quest

1. cathy says:

I’ve been searching for years! I have teenagers now so stopping at every TB we see along our travels is never a problem. I have yet to find a TB that would just make it special order for me. I have found the beloved CCB in O’Fallon, IL & Highland, IL. The only location around SoCal that I’ve been able to find is in Primm, Nevada but it is well worth the drive.

2. Amy says:

Ever have any luck? I have a 4 1/2 month pregnant friend who just texted me that she is craving a chili cheese burrito from taco bell. We’ve both been googling and calling trying to find a location that might make them. That’s how I came across your blog.

1. I did! They were offered for a limited time across the US. But, if you ask some Taco Bell’s specifically to make one, even if it’s not on the menu they usually will since they have all the ingredients.

3. Lisa says:

Taco Bell is just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG to remove this beloved item from their menu. I never go there anymore. Nothing else on their menu even comes close!

4. Colleen says:

It is never on the menus anywhere. But, sometimes you can get lucky just by asking if they have them. Wilmington NC area does – they brought them back!

1. Lisa says:

Me, too. Drove through recently looking for SOMETHING to satisfy my craving. Seriously, nothing nearly as good.

5. kevin k. says:

Just picked up a Chili Cheese Burrito today at the Taco Bell in Primm, Nevada. I left Nevada feeling like a winner for once.

1. burritowonk says:

After seeing Kevin’s post above (I’ve been on the search for years!), I drove the hour down to Primm today from Vegas. I can confirm they do in fact have the CCB as a regular menu item!!!

6. Larry says:

I found this page during one of my many, many fruitless searches for a list of places that still carry it. I have been tempted to start my own site and try to attract the info. Too bad all I have is my own experience and the nice posters here from MN and CO that confirmed sitings. Thanks for that.

I can offer my own: Philiadelphia: called the 5 within driving range, no luck. St. Augustine, 2 did not have it. I read a post from someone written in 2008 from Columbus, OH that eating a chilio with one hand and typing with the other. Dayton, OH saw it in several place. Centerville, OH confirmed siting in 2006, but its not everywhere. Oddly, Dayton area already has the breakfast menu… Almost all the rest are west coast.

Results of my copycat recipe search: none from the internet worked, but I developed one on my own that has been the closest but not the same. Its Castlebury’s Hot Dog Chili (its a watery bean-based sauce) with a small amout of fine ground 80/20 beef for texture and fat. The thing that is the farthest off is the tortilla, man they are so soft and I cand find/make any with that feel.

7. I’m going to need to do some research here in MN, because if the T.Bells here don’t have it on the menu, I’m going to flip out royally on some high schooler working the register. And now that I’ve read your post about CCBs, I need to have one. Now. That’s what knocked-up hormones will do to you.

But the hormones would definitely help me rage at anyone that gets in my way of the greatest burrito known to man.

8. Three for the Austin Bells under the sky,
    Seven for DFW in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Nebraska Bells doomed to die,
    One for the contrary girl on her contrary throne,
    In the land of chili cheese, where burritos lie.

One burrito to rule them all,
    One burrito to find them,
    One burrito to bring them all,
    And in one’s tummy bind them,
    In the land of chili cheese, where burritos lie.

(I would translate that last bit into the Black Speech of Mordor, but I have no idea what the Black Speech equivalent of “burrito” is.)

9. Christina says:

You know, some Taco Bells may not have it on the menu, but if you ask for it, they might still have the recipe and could still make it for you. One of my fave meals at IHOP isn’t on the menu anymore, but they don’t bat an eye when I order it. : D Just something to consider. Ask for it at each Taco Bell, those menus are deceitful little things!

1. prestige27 says:

Reason most don’t carry it or won’t make it off-menu is because they don’t have chili. Hence the chili cheese burrito. That’s what I’ve been told when I used to ask. I’m in Rochester NY and have searched high and low from Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo – nothing. Last time I had one was in summer of 2010 in Canton, OH. I wish they’d bring it back so BAAAAAAAADDDDDD

1. Funny story, I had one of the best burritos ever in Lincoln. I know, I was shocked too. We went to a place called Oso Burrito and the food was crazy good! Although, I will also say I kind of fell in love with Omaha when I was there.

10. Make it YOURSELF?? That there is crazy talk. One might as well paint their own Mona Lisa in the Garage and call it “just as good”. The magical experience of the CCB Quest can’t be replicated in your kitchen with a can of Wolf Brand and a jar of Cheese Whiz, for pity’s sake.

Unless…., you could buy your own Taco Bell franchise, staff it with employees, and set about adding the CCB to the menu just so you could have one any time you want……

Probably ought to leave that as Plan B, for now.