Year 27- I Will Find My Burrito.

I turned 27 on Monday. (That means my birthday is May 14 and you should all write that down and send me things like slap bracelets and chia pets and strange things that may be cursed that you find at antique malls.) 27 seems like the perfect year to undertake a quest. It’s totally a questing year. There was no question as to what my quest would be, there is a thing that I loved and lost when I was 11, it is very clear to me now in my 27th year that I must find that thing again. That thing is a Taco Bell Chili Cheese Burrito.

There are no Taco Bells in the Austin area that serve the chili cheese burrito, but they used to, oh yes, they used to. And I used to feast on this most simple and most delicious of burritos and then suddenly one day they were gone. I have craved them ever since but never been able to satisfy that craving. However, this is my 27th year and my craving will be satisfied! I have heard tales of chili cheese burritos at other Taco Bells, Taco Bells in far away places called “Ft. Lauderdale” and “Columbus”, I will endeavor to travel to these places and seek what is rightfully mine- a long loved and long lost burrito. I may even have two.

Let the great burrito quest of my 27th year commence!!

Not to brag or anything, but I’m also on another quest to find the best BBQ in Central Texas. Yes, that’s TWO quests that I’m on. I have very high expectations for my 27th year, very high indeed.

64 thoughts on “Year 27- I Will Find My Burrito.

1. kim says:

i live in austin and heard that austin taco bells are going to start having chili cheese burritos on jan 20th. have you heard this too? so excited.

1. catheterchris says:

I live in pensacola, fl and I went to the drive thru a few days ago and there was the chilli cheese burrito on the menu again! I couldn’t believe it! It was obviously new cause it was a cardboard sign that was under the drive thru menu.

2. AJ says:

I heard the chili cheese burrito is back temporarily, so I called the taco bell that my husband stops by and “They have the CCB!” This is the best Valentine’s Day ever… my husband is bringing me CCB’s for dinner! This particular TB is in Charlestown, WV .

2. Replica recipe:
    2 Chili Cheese Burritos: Heat up 1/2 can (15oz.) of Armour Chili no beans in the microwave for 90 seconds. Take 2 flour tortillas lay them on a wet paper towel. Place one more wet towel between them and one on top (3 towels total). Put them in a plastic bag (unsealed) and place them in the microwave for 1 minute. Now remove from bag, place your pre-heated chili inside the tortillas with a handful of cheese and wrap it like a boss. Now place them back in the microwave on a plate for 45 seconds to melt the cheese inside. You have just made a 100% authentic Chilitoβ„’ from Taco Bell.

3. beck16 says:

I’m really surprised Austin does not serve the chili cheese burrito because well… it’s Austin and Austin is awesome!

The best BBQ in central Texas… easy! Rudy’s!! (which you should know by now πŸ™‚ ) and there’s a place in Llano called Cooper’s that I’ve never experienced myself but have heard rave reviews! My next trip to Austin (very soon!!) I will be stopping by to see just how fantastic I hear it is. I’ll let you know. πŸ™‚

1. I like Rudy’s but it’s not my favorite. So far, Kreutz’s in Lockhart is tops in my book but I stil have lots of BBQ places I haven’t tried yet, which is crazy when you think that I’ve lived here my whole life!

4. GotC! I’m such a horrible subscriber…I’ve just read a bunch of your posts for the first time in like…4 months. But that doesn’t mean I don’t love you!
    Okay. So first of all, my birthday was May 4 and I turned 19, which basically means we’re totally twinz. Happy birthday to you! Jules sent me slap bracelets earlier this year too, so yay matching πŸ™‚
    Anyway, I love taco bell too much to admit, so I’m glad we’re on the same page with that one.

1. Not to worry Capster! I know you’ve been busy be a brainiac college student. πŸ™‚ Happy birthday to you!!! I’m glad to know about our mutual love of bad food- it adds a new layer to our friendship. πŸ˜‰

5. 22aer22 says:

I’ve been on the life-long quest to find the best burritos for years now, and though this may be from taco bell, it sounds pretty damn amazing. Must. Try.

6. Happy birthday week. My daughter always celebrates hers that way.

I think we need to find the land of lost fast food delicacies, kind of like the “Island of Misfit Toys.” It’s so totally unfair of these people to feed us on comfort food, then drop it from the menu without even a warning.

At least, McDonald’s brings back the McRib every so often. I still long for Arby’s Onion Petals and I shudder to imagine the day Back Yard Burger does away with their Hawaiian Chicken sandwich.

7. cassiebehle says:

Happy belated! I turn 27 in a month, so you’ll have to let me know any tricks of the trade you learn in the meantime! πŸ™‚

8. ohhh man I’m at work right now but as soon as I get home I will find you the biggest most weridest delicious burrito there is in this werid universe called internet and send u a pic. Happy b-day ^_^

9. Brook says:

No need for you top enter a foreign land such as Canada (a country I adore, btw, due to the readily available poutine and cider combo. Had I stayed there more than a week, I would have had to buy two plane tix for the flight home) in order to get your chili cheese burrito fix. You can stay in the continental us by heading to minnesota. Minneapolis, specifically. I live a mere three blocks from the glory that is the chili cheese burrito. So, we can totally hang and become besties (one of my personal quests) and bond over taco bell goodness.

1. Everything thing you said there is music to my ears. Also, a trip to Minnesota is long overdue for me. When is it warmest there? That’s when I’ll have to come as I can’t survive very long in the cold. πŸ˜‰

10. You shall find your chili cheese burrito, as it only awaits to be (not so delicately) devoured by you. Wouldn’t it be fun to turn this into a romantic parody and claim, “This whole time you’ve been craving it, it has also been craving you…” actually… That kinda sounds like a threat… Killer burritos anyone?

11. Happy birthday, GotC! And slap bracelets, you say? We can totally make that happen. If you trust me enough to email me your address, that is, LOL (JKSchnedeker@yahoo.com)

12. Happy Birthday!! May you find the burrito of your dreams, may it be as delicious as you remember, and may eating it not require a sudden adoption of a third quest: Donde esta el baΓ±o!

13. Happy Birthday!! If ever there was person prepared to meet the high challenges she has set for herself it is you! I wouldn’t be surprised that in your quest, you will uncover more of the ‘bests’, and I can’t wait to hear what they are!

14. As a long time TBell devotee and curator of the definitive Burrito Guide, I wish you the best. If I come across one, should I just email one to you? What kind of sauce?

On BBQ, I heard Smitty’s in Lockhart was the best… Rudy’s in San Antonio’s very good.

1. Thank you! Yes, please email me one with hot sauce.

Also, I haven’t been to Smitty’s yet but Kreuz’s in Lockhart is amazing! Smitty’s is at the top of my list of next places to try.

15. Most happiest of Birthdays to you, GotC… even if the wish is a bit belated πŸ™‚

The Burrito goes ever on and on
    Down from the Taco Bell where it began.
    Now far ahead the Burrito has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can,
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Until it joins some larger combo.
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say.

A proper quest should have a proper song, and I’m sure Tolkien wouldn’t mind that I’ve borrowed one of his.

1. That questing song was one of the best birthday gifts I got! You really get me Paladin! Thank you so much! πŸ™‚

I feel even more inspired to track down that burrito now!

16. GotC,

I have great news for you! Get on a plane and come up to Canada. We have a strange city called Etobicoke, with a gahering place known as Sherway Gardens. In this communal gathering place you will find a central square surrounded by vendors of international delicacies, the most exotic of which is your fabled chili cheese burrito! And as if that isn’t enough, this purveyor of exotic fare will even provide a special meal known in the Great White North as a “combo”. That’s right–two chili cheese burritos, an order of twisty fries and a medium soft drink!

Let me know when your plane is landing and I’ll have a car waiting!

p.s. Happy Birthday!

17. “Got to start by finding it, have we? answered Puddleglum. “Not allowed to start by looking for it, I suppose?” -The Silver Chair.

18. What a lofty goal you have. Though, you have inspired me to look all around NC now for this elusive burrito. If I find it, I will mail one to you, though by the time you get it, I doubt it would very much resemble the glorious delicacy you enjoyed as a kid.

PS: Since you are a fan of The Bloggess, thought you and your readers should know that I’m giving away a signed copy of her book..as well as a $100 Target Gift Card.

19. stevesw says:

Happy birthday two days ago.

Good luck on your quests. As for the best BBQ, well it’s difficult to convince people, as each area believes their BBQ is the best. Some things you might want to conceder. I once read that the more animated the characters on the sign, the better the BBQ. For me, I look for unpretentiousness (if it appears to be a nice table cloth restaurant, well, I’m not sure). I came up with a BBQ rating system, one to five napkins. The latest good BBQ place I found is Moe’s in Birmingham, AL. Oh, another important thing is having a great t-shirt for sale.